Warning: Declaration of aec_contributor_list::form() should be compatible with WP_Widget::form($instance) in /home/sedgw3/public_html/wp-content/plugins/ajax-event-calendar/inc/widget-contributors.php on line 0
Civil Unions - Sedgwick County, Colorado | Sedgwick County, Colorado
nav-left cat-right

Civil Unions




You and your intended partner each must present one of these currently valid forms of identification:

  • U.S. state-issued driver's license or permit
  • U.S. state-issued ID
  • U.S. military ID
  • Passport (with certified English-language translation if non-English)

Please note the name on the civil union license will appear exactly as it is on the ID you provide.

Additionally, if you have a Social Security number you are required to provide it. If either of the intended partners does not have a Social Security number (you are from another country, or are in the process of obtaining U.S. citizenship) you are not required to have one to obtain a civil union license.

(Birth certificates, baptismal certificates, and Mexican Consular IDs (Matricula Consular) are not acceptable for marriage license applications)



  • Minors are prohibited from entering into civil unions.
  • Adults who have guardians must have the notarized written permission of their guardian(s) to obtain a civil union license.  The permission form must be used within 30 days from the date it is notarized.
  • Blood tests are not required in Colorado, and there is no waiting period.
  • Applicants need not be Colorado residents.
  • The civil union license is valid for 35 days.
  • Be prepared to supply the place of birth (city and state) of each of your parents.
  • The completed civil union certificate (and attached license) must be returned to the Clerk and Recorder for recording within 63 days after certification. After that date, late fees will apply.



If one of the parties can't be in our office to fill out the application:

  • Must fill out an Absentee Application for the absent party in front of a notary public
  • Must have the absent parties ID or photocopy
  • The name on the Absentee Application must match name on ID



When one party is unable to attend the solemnization, the absent party may authorize a third party to act as proxy.

An Authorization of Proxy form will need to be completed and signed in front of a notary public.